Subject: [Leica] Nokton user report to come
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 16:10:48 +0000

Jem K.: >>>I find with the 50mm framelines on my M3 that I have to trim
the corners off my photos for the framing to be the same, gives them
quite a retro look, like 1950s TV sets....<<<

Heh. I never thought of that. I wonder why the M3 framelines have those
rounded corners?*

Incidentally, I just got back from giving my new Nokton a workout on the
M4. Man, does this thing handle beautifully--those pure, clean M4
framelines--I love the M4.

I'll post a user report on the Nokton in due course. My initial
impressions (handling / visual only) border on infatuation. It's a
fatter lens than I think I've ever had on an M camera, but it's not too
big--like a 50/1.4 SLR lens scaled down. The chrome is warmer in color
than the chrome on the M4, but it's not a bad match. Quality of finish
is fine. The focus is not as glossy as most Leica lenses (or the king of
focusing smoothness, the old M42 Pentax 50/1.4), but still quite smooth.
Aperture-ring action is actually a little better than on most recent
Leica lenses, precise and perfectly damped. It feels great on the M
body, really comfortable and well balanced. I like the handling a lot,
especially the short, quarter-turn focusing throw. A dream while
shooting. And that hood with the fitting metal cap--very elegant. May
even make me use a cap for the first time in my life--today I actually
took a picture with the cap on! A first, ever! I'm so proud! <s>

I had a 50mm Summilux-M around here for about a year and a half, and
never warmed to that thing. Following the "Umbrella Principle"--if you
take your umbrella, it will not rain--it follows that since I like the
handling on the Nokton so much, I will hate the image quality. Well, I
hope not!

- --Mike

* Rule 17: Never ask a rhetorical question on the LUG. You WILL get your
ass kicked....