Subject: [Leica] Leica Horror Stories & a thank you
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 23:42:13 +0000

Frank Filippone  wrote

>I was visiting friends in Manchester, England.  We went to a pub for lunch.
>I had my trusty M3 with 90 ELmarit and 35 'Cron.  The pub was busy, so we
>had to wait.  We had a drink then went into the restaurant to do lunch.
>
>Had lunch, when I noticed my camera bag was missing......PANIC!..... ran
>back to the pub room, where my camera bag was sitting, untouched, with about
>60 people drinking and having fun in the room.
>
>Try that in NYC!
>
>Frank

The same thing happened to me in Liverpool - I hadn't owned a camera for
long and was unused to always carrying (and remembering) a bag. Never judge
a place by its reputation!

That dread moment of realisation is pure sensation! Recovering the bag is
pretty good too.

My camera horror stories are pretty mundane - burglars, sneak thieves. Cats
and straps that hang down off tables (as Mark has also found). Lens uncapped
in pocket with rogue coin. Client knocking over tripod and view camera on
foreign trip. Hopefully, thats it. I try to stay away from honey hunters,
military jets and the like.

By the way, many thanks to Luggers who met in London on Wednesday - A bit
battered by a days teaching and a rush job in the evening featuring a yellow
telly and a pile of videos, I was late, and really appreciated the lively
atmosphere and warm enthusiasm.  Good selection of interesting cameras on
the table, but rather overshadowed by the good selection of interesting
people around it.

We should do it again, on a summers night perhaps.

Alex

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/