Subject: [Leica] Re: Walker Evans, or Bigger IS Better
From: christian becker <8fps@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 17:17:37 +0100 (MET)

platinum/palladium prints are still almost always 4x5 or 8x10. Why do you
think a 8x6 print is only 'historical', but not big enough anymore?

Maybe your problem with the size is just a reflection of the number of
visitors of the show. Clearly, the bigger the easier to see. For 8x6 you may
have to stand in line and may just be able to have a quick look (until you get
pushed aside). Circumstances aside I think smaller pictures demand more
concentration. You might be surprised how small the 'Mona Lisa' actually is.

Generally, I think that very often size is mistaken for content. More, I
feel all formats look best at around tenfold linear enlargement (regardless
of grain, sharpness...).

Christian

- --
click before it is too late