Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica made in Germany
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 13:20:48 EST

The place is called Fossil Rim and is located west of Fort Worth and is close
to Glenn Rose.  All of the African plains animals save and except the cats,
rhinos, and dangerous game are allowed to roam free so all of the visitors in
cars that are allowed to drive on black topped paths can actually reach out
and touch the animals.  Giraffes, wildebeest, zebra, antelope, sheep, goats,
ostrich, etc., come right up to the car to eat specially formulated food in
pellet form.  Not really any different from being in Africa other than the
fact that the animals are socialized and are not at all afraid of the people
in the cars.  Cheetahs and Rhinos are maintained in enclosures.  Fossil Rim
is reputed to have the finest Rhino breeding program in the world.  The
various African countries that are having a hard time with keeping the Rhinos
alive are now depending upon Fossil Rim for breeding and breeding stock.  One
of the paved paths takes you within about twenty feet of one side of the two
Rhino pens.  These pens are several acres in size and the fences are made
from drill pipe.

This was the idea of a wealthy young oilman in the early 70's who went broke
and it was taken over by a nonprofit group.

Really a "cool" operation.  However, no elephants.  Forgot to ask the
operators why no elephants.

Will send info should you be interested and would be happy to have you stay
with us and drive you to Fossil Rim.  You would fly into Love Field at Dallas
or Dallas/Fort Worth Airport which is located partly within Irving.  We live
in Irving so it would be very convenient.  Would suggest staying at one of
the nice motel facilities at Glenn Rose so we could get an early morning
start since that is when the animals are most active.

We would leave Beamer at home since he doesn't like the giraffes or zebras to
stick their heads in the car.  The giraffes heed his warning growls but the
zebras just lay their ears back and show their teeth as if to say: "go ahead
little buddy, get a bit closer and make my day."  The zebras are really the
most dangerous of the animals.

You do not need long lenses but they would be nice to bring along just in
case the animals are not cooperative.  The 135 mm was really too long for the
Sunday shoot.

We will be gone the middle of May SCUBA diving in Grand Cayman and a few days
in New York April 6-9.  Best to visit Fossil Rim in February and March when
the weather is not Texas hot nor blue northerner cold.

Think about it.

Don