Subject: [Leica] Leica in Vietnam
From: "David Medley" <dmedley@whidbey.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 16:30:34 -0800

> The sad fact is that not only did 58,000 American servicemen and women
lose
> their lives, and I can't tell you how many other civilians- including the
> photojournalists- who died, but that the very place this tragedy occurred
is
> already fading in our collective consciousness.

I had a very preliminary conversation with my dentist the other day about
the two of us running a photo workshop to Vietnam. Julie got out of Saigon
at the age of 22 just before the fall of the American Embassy and she has a
brother and several other relatives who live there. (She goes back on
occasion so is current with today's political climate)

Vietnam is a beautiful country, the people are wonderful and Julie would act
as interpreter and guide. I have mentioned this to the Coupeville Arts
Center and they would be willing to sponsor such a trip if there was enough
interest. My talk with Julie and the Arts Center predated the current talk
of Vietnam on the LUG but I thought with the thread still active I would
throw out the idea and see if any of you had any interest in such a trip.

At this point, I would have no idea as to the cost, but it would not be
cheap. If any of you have thoughts about it please e-mail privately.

Cheers,
David Medley
Whidbey Is.   WA
USA