Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica and the digital future
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:10:48 +0000

Cummer Family wrote:

 (beyond the badge engineering of the Fuji MX 1700/ Leica digilux zoom) to
> bring out a Leica M mount mega pix digital camera that would let me use my
> Leica M lenses

As we seem to be in a Renaissance of range finder cameras, Leica is going to
be more and more pressed to compete on a playing field no longer all their
own. I think Leica could blow the drawers off the competition by introducing
not a new camera at all but an attachment for the existing M that will allow
digital photography.  The least exploited part of the Leica M camera is the
back flap which is removable.  Leica engineers or Fuji working with Leica
could develop a replacement back door with a full size sensor or what ever
they are called.  The flap could have a flat screen on the back and the
batteries and media storage would be housed in a replacement bottom much like
a motor drive. The only thing external needed would be
an electrical connection between the base and flap and a devise to hold the
shutter open.  This would work on all existing M cameras.
John