Subject: Re: [Leica] disturbed poster on list
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 20:01:39 +0000

Douglas McLernon wrote:

> As has been observed some seriously disturbed person seems to have assumed
> the identity of various well know personalities on the LUG to the extend
> that they are ridding favourite individual hobby horses to rude, crude
> extremes beyond the level of just poor  taste. I don't know what can be done
> about it other than notify the "free" mail servers of the "personation" ( an
> Irish word used for impostors at  Irish elections) but it is unlikely they
> registered with their own identity. I believe the servers used could trace
> the routing of these obnoxious e-mails if requested to do so by our server.
> There is nothing wrong with Hot Mail, Yahoo or any of the other internet
> e-mail addresses. They are useful when travelling to pick up friends
> directed mail from any available site.

I agree this guy or gal is demented and thinks he/she is having a grand old
time sending us up. But as far as I know there is really only one successful
way to fight such shenanigans.
This kind of assault happens a lot on many use net groups. The best weapon is
to totally ignore the posts. Once he/she realizes no one cares he/she will get
bored. Even this post is too much. Just ignore the fool, do not respond, do
not discuss steps to be taken to eliminate him/her, don't recognize in any way
his/her existence.

This approach will work, but it requires complete cooperation from all of us.
John