Subject: Re: [Leica] Harvey & Cuba
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:23:02 +0000

Jiri_Dvorak@idx.com wrote:

> I saw that show in LG too, last fall. What surprised me was that, according to
> the guy in the gallery, everything was shot on slide, then 8x10 color inter
> negatives were made from the slides, and the prints were made from the
> internegs. The prints looked great but I would never figure that one out! Why
> not print the slides on Ilfochrome (Ciba) in the first place? Contrast control?

Jiri,
Partly.  I have seen fabulous prints from 35 via 8x10 neg on C.  The
only way to go for large prints.  Several years ago I ordered 12 prints
CIBA for my portfolio and ended up just throwing them away because of
contrast.

I'm sure there is some optical science behind this that I am also
incapable of staying awake long enough to listen to the reasons.

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com