Subject: Re: [Leica] So, how about that IIIa?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 22:52:00 -0500

At 09:39 PM 3/11/2000 -0500, Doug Cooper wrote:

>Okay, I need advice (as usual).  I found an extremely nice IIIa -- I'd say
>mint-/ex++, with accurate shutter speeds and a clear finder -- and they
>want $375 for it.  This seems a good deal, and I'm looking for a second
>LTM.  What say all of you?  Good price?  Should I hold out for a IIIf?
>Are there serious build differences that I should know about?  (The
>functionality of the IIIa is good enough for me, I think; I hardly need
>flash sync.)

Well, the IIIa is constructed a tad differently than is the IIIc, IIIf, and
IIIg bodies, which had "unibody construction" -- a die-cast shutter crate
and a die-cast body, in place of the earlier construction technique from
separate parts.  And the later LTM bodies were a tad larger, too -- 1mm
taller and 3mm wider.  Other than this, though, the IIIa is identical in
most ways to the IIIc.

Flash synch is a minor thing to add, either by having a good repair shop
add it internally or by purchasing a Geiss Kontakt, a readily available
after-market accessory, which can generally be found for $15 or $20 with
some patience.  And Leitz made an accessory self-timer, the APDOO, which
can often be found used for a reasonable sum, $50 or so.

My heart-throb is the IIIc, which has been overlooked in the glare of
publicity afforded those glamour girls, the IIIf and IIIg.  You might save
some money by keeping your eyes open for one of these fine gems.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!