Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter sizes
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:59:05 -0800

John Collier wrote:

> I hope everyone does not think I am way out in left field here, but I think
> that if you are a heavy filter user, the M cameras are not the way to go. M
> lenses are optimised to be as small as possible as any extra bulk literally
> does get in the way. Leica does seem to be trying to limit the number of
> different filter sizes lately: witness the rise in use of the E46 size. I
> think the current filter size range is E39, E46, E49, E55 and E60. For me,
> the use of filters runs counterintuitive to the whole M philosophy and more
> suited to a reflex frame of mind. I will fully confess that when shooting in
> the tropics I bring a polarising filter and that I do own an 81A filter; I
> just do not seem to use them that much. Just my two cents worth.
>
> John Collier
>
><Snip>
MY 4 filter wallets of E39, E46, E49, E55 take up a good chunk of my camera bags.
Each wallet holds 4 filters and I use them all. I shoot black and white with my M's.
If I shot color I think I could get by with a polarizer to get some tone in the
skies and insure some contrast control, maybe a warming filter.
But I really don't so when I'm out especially doing landscape like I did of the
Columbia River Gorge the weekend I'm a heavily filtered kinda guy.
Even on the streets of "town" Hood River I generally have the Yellow/green on
and if I'm shooting faster films I don't always take that filter off indoors!
But I think this makes more an extreme hard filter case.
Mark Rabiner