Subject: Re: [Leica] The Galapagos Islands
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:47:55 -0800

Gerry Walden wrote:

> My wife and I are planning a "once in a lifetime" trip to the Galapagos
> Islands for May and I wondered if any other LUGers had any experience of the
> islands.   In particular a couple of questions come up.   Firstly, we are
> being offered a 4 day and a 7 day trip.   Do the islands warrant a 7 day
> visit or will we get sick of looking at blue footed boobies etc. and just
> find ourselves repeating the experience over again.   Secondly, a stop over
> in Quito can be arranged for 4 days - is this worthwhile and how difficult
> is the altitude there to deal with.   And thirdly (and partly to keep it on
> subject) will my 200mm lens (Leica of course) be long enough for most of the
> wildlife, who I have a feeling are so used to cameras they are sponsored by
> Kodak!
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Gerry

A friend of mine who owns a color lab went there years back and brought back
great shots in color neg all taken with his Olympus XA clamshell!. It convinced
me to get one. It was only a mater of time from that to my Leica M6's I mainly
use now.
So maybe shorter lenes and a Rangefinder would do you OK in that environment.
Unless those turtles have stated eating people!!!
Mark Rabiner