Subject: [Leica] How used can an enlarging lens be?
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:21:38 -0000

Jim,
perhaps you are fortunate in not having to buy much used gear but I've done
a lot and it amazes me too, how 'used' an EL can be.
The most common fault is fungus, because the lenses are kept in the dark and
the environment is usually moist, with the chemical and water vapour.
Following on from the fungus there are many misguided attempts to remove the
fungus.
Then I've seen much scratching of coatings/lens front elements due to heavy
handed cleaning. Quite why they need cleaning when there's no way for the
dust to fall onto that surface I've no idea but invariably the scartches are
there rather than on the top / rear surface.
My present Focotar had a ring stain on the rear/top element, I dread to
think how something so caustic that it creates an immovable etched mark on
the glass could have got onto it in that position, especially as the V35 is
not an enlarger where you need to change lenses! Weird!

regards,
Jem