Subject: [Leica] Why I rarely post...
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 07:33:18 -0500

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> Unfortunately the great majority of LUG members don't post anything - for
> whatever reason.    Two of these "lurkers" are friends of mine who are both
> EXTREMELY Leica knowledgeable, true Leica experts in fact....
>
> 1) EVERY member had to make at least one posting a month in order to stay
> subscribed.

Stephen,

I am a commercial photographer who has subscribed to the Lug since 1996
and use 2 R8s, 2 M6s, 6 M lenses and 4 R lenses --  all
state-of-the-art. I use a Contax G2 set, including the 16 and 21, for a
change of pace every now and again. Much to my mother's horror, I also
hold a bachelors degree in professional photography from the Rochester
Institute of Technology, class of '82. All of the above and two bucks
will get you a good cup of coffee. :-)

Although it undoubtedly has damaged my marriage over the years, I read
Lug mail every day. I rarely post anything. In my case, it is because a)
I simply don't have the time (apologies) to write a substantive posting,
(b) a significant percentage of the topics are of no interest or (c)
somebody else beats me to the punch with "the answer." Consequently, I'm
quiet, and lurk. What puzzles me is why you believe this should
disqualify me for "membership" in the Lug. I learned more about
photography (and Leicas) in the first six months on this list than I did
in four years of college, although the Lug's noise level has grown over
the years. On the rare occasions that I do post, it usually is because I
can add to a thread from personal experience, which helps others, even
if infrequently, which I'm glad to do. This practice and intent should
not be grounds for expulsion.

One thing is certain: the Lug remains a never-ending source of
entertainment.

David W. Almy
Annapolis