Subject: Re: [Leica] Helicopter Aerials - stabilizer question
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:36:19 -0500

Gary,

Donal's shot helicopter-to-(moving)-boat quite a bit, if I'm remembering
right, so maybe he'll chime in on this. Years ago I was a staffer with
Flying, Business and Commercial Aviation, and A/C Flyer magazines.
Consequently, I'm a "veteran" of more than a couple dozen air-to-air
photo shoots, either helicopter-to-helicopter or plane-to-plane.

One of the great challenges in air to air photography is not "freezing"
propellers or rotors, which looks artificial and harsh and amateurish.
Taken to the max, often prop-driven airplanes look best when the prop
(or rotor on a helicopter) is blurred to the point of appearing to be a
solid arc of light, usually with a sunlit shimmer running through it.
The bad news is that that can require shutter speeds down to 1/60th of a
second, taken from a bouncing aircraft of a bouncing aircraft. Even the
1/125th and 1/250th shots, given this movement, often are problematic.
Consequently, there is typically a high reject rate for the processed
chromes. For jets, the first instinct is to shoot everything at 1/1000,
but using a telephoto for a tight shot looking head-on down a jet
fuselage (see the pilots smile?!) results in depth of field problems, so
you're forced to slow the shutter down and up your reject rate.

Solutions? Shoot at dawn or dusk, when the turbulence is least. Shoot
over water (you've got that licked!) where the air is most stable during
the day. Shoot lots of film.

In all this, I've never used a gyro. Read a lot about them. Some
air-to-air guys use them on occasion, but I know of no one in the
aviation community who uses one always, or considers them "the answer."
Maybe it's just pride, but skill, patience, planning and a good eye are
considered the best tools to produce stunning shots. And, of course,
Leica glass.

My two cents.

David W. Almy
Annapolis