Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Camera-Handling
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:55:19 +0000

Mike Johnston wrote:

> For instance, right now, with a (borrowed) M4, I'm experimenting with
> trying to minimize the time the camera is up to my eye--set the focus
> and exposure with the camera at belly-level on its strap, then raise,
> look, shoot, and return the camera to the down position as quickly and
> smoothly as possible (although I haven't tried it yet, I think an
> unmetered Leica with an add-on Cosina meter may be ideal for this,
> because it makes it easier to meter with the camera at waist-level). For
> all my experience shooting Leicas, this particular skill is new to me.
> So I'm finding I still have lots to learn about Leica camera-handling.

I also have practiced with the camera without film.  To lessen the time the
camera is at my eye I often use a hyper focal setting and I trained myself to
go without a meter. I almost always use B&W 400 HP5+ and rate it at about 400.
I like D76 though I also have a fondness for Rodinal  1-25. Getting good
exposure without a meter for B&W street shooting etc. is not nearly so
difficult as it sounds to those who learned their photography with built in
meters.  Also I try to see the photo before I even raise the camera to my eye
in order to keep the camera to eye time short. If I need to do more then
slight adjustments to the framing I lower the camera and look again.
John Shick