Subject: [Leica] Re: Summaron comments solicited
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:21:55 -0800

I had a 35/3.5 Summaron with my first Leica equipment in the early 60's on
a IIIg and Ig, 50 Summicron, 90, 135, 200 Viso and lots of little bits. I
didn't worry about resolution or contrast, I just felt damned lucky to have
Leica stuff (which I inherited). My Yashica 44LM went into retirement.

The shots I took with that lens were some of my favourites of all time,
partly because in spite of the finder issue, it was my most used lens. I
still have a 20x24" Tri-X print of a picture I took in 1967 hanging in my
house. Now I use a Summilux ASPH, but I'm not sure the images are any
better.

A solid, dense little lens of impeccable mechanical quality and sufficient
optical quality. There was some falloff, but I never worried about it, and
after I got a 28 Summaron, I _really_ didn't worry about it!

>> Mike Johnston wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm interested in hearing comments about either of the old Summaron-M
>> > lenses, either the f/2.8 or the f/3.5, either M-mount or screwmount.
>> > Anybody used one? Like it? Dislike it? Feelings and opinions much
>> > appreciated, on- or off-list.
>> >
>> > Thanks--
>> >
>> > --Mike

   *            Henning J. Wulff