Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B&W slides
From: GERosen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 01:16:06 EST

In a message dated 3/13/00 1:22:45 PM, tekapo@golden.net writes:

>What do Scala prints look like quality-wise?

Aye, that's the rub.
I use Scala as my principal b & w film. Strictly amateur.. I love the look
and the pushability makes makes it  usable in 99% of the situations that I
encounter including available darkness. I have not yet found a really good
way of making prints (mostly enlargements to 8x10 and 11x14. II resorted to
taking the same slide to every pro lab in the area including the local Scala
processor and asked for an 11x14.  The type R's came back with every possible
color cast from green to pink and the prints made from an interneg lost the
sharpness that is one of Scala's attributes.

So far, the best results I've gotten are from a drum scan and printing on a
lightjet. Unfortunately the that did it is very inconsistent with their
quality and expensive. I read somewhere (can't remember the source) that
Ilfochrome works very well with Scala and will be trying that.

Ultimately it looks like I'll be saving my pennies for a high end film
scanner, an Epson 1200 and  photoshop.

If anyone has any better Ideas I'd love to hear them.

Off this topic, but onto  another one, I'm one of those lurkers who rarely
posts. There is nothing sinister in this, I just rarely have anything to
contribute that isn't usually covered by people with a lot more Leica
knowledge than I have.

Gerry