Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B&W slides
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:32:18 -0800

GERosen@aol.com wrote:
> >What do Scala prints look like quality-wise?
> I use Scala as my principal b & w film. Strictly amateur.. I love the look
> and the pushability makes makes it  usable in 99% of the situations that I
> encounter including available darkness. I have not yet found a really good
> way of making prints ......

Hi Gerry!

     So, do you project the Scala?  Trying to get a print from a positive
black and white transparency maybe fine once in awhile, but as a confirmed
black and white printer, I'd go broke quick making Ilfochromes from the
Scala.

     Another intended use of Scala, if I recall correctly, is in
preparing for reproduction (books, etc.); it maybe more direct, that is
less generational copies.  After all, Scala is spooled for roll film and
available in sheet film as well.  Wasn't Scala introduced right before
all the digital printing options really took off?  Also, in 4x5, Scala
would look good on a light box, and probably for roll film too.  But,
for 35mm, I'll bet it impresses most with good projection coupled with
good use of black and white filters, lighting, etc.  I guess the labs
that process Scala give the choice of mounting?

     Used like that, is Scala about the same cost as Kodachrome?

					Cheers,

							Rich Lahrson
							tripspud@wenet.net