Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:15:52 +1100

I imagine, the reason why the the Nocton is at f 1.5, was, purely an accident
Conica managed to draw the correct name and focal length out of a head.  This
lens really
existed once. I have one. Now they must have thought, if we get 3 out of 3 right
so far,
we may as well try to get the 3rd parameter right. And so they did.

All the other Cosina-Voigtlander lenses never really existed. There was never a
35mm
Scopar, especially not with a Gauss type configuration. It was always a Tessar
copy
and only available for the 35mm Cameras in a 50mm focal length. And roughly in
about a
75 mm and 105mm configuration for the larger format. Always in a Tessar layout.

In 35mm format it never was faster than f2.8.
The same goes for the Heliar. Completely miss named and miss leading for a 35mm
camera.

In my opinion, Cosina could not care less about the history or the accuracy of
this lens names. It is a shame. But then what do you expect, if a company is to
ashamed to use
there own name on the products they manufacture.

Now, after having said this, I would appreciate, if none of you LUGers accuse me
of making racially negative remarks. I would have written  the same, if a
company from the US, Germany, France or even Upper Volta had done this.

I am just not impressed.  I do owe a small company, but have never been ashamed
to put my own Brand Name on to my products.

Regards, Horst Schmidt