Subject: [Leica] CL with light leak
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 06:41:39 +0000

RE the "CL with Light Leak" thread, this is a leitmotif of the LUG and
it always surprises me.

Every now and then somebody posts with a broken camera and asks, "any
idea how to fix this?" then we endure a large number of posts as people
idly speculate about what might be wrong with a camera they cannot even
inspect in person.

Not meaning to be brusque but...If your camera's broken, get it fixed.
There are camera repair people out there who would appreciate your
business. If you buy a broken camera, return it.

Simple enough? Pediatricians have a maxim where diagnosis is concerned:
"if you hear hoofbeats, don't think 'zebra.'" Sometimes the obvious
conclusion is the reasonable course of action.

The internet seems to love minutia and idle speculation about equally. I
honestly didn't believe there could be a more trivial thread than the
camera-strap discussion--which beat out the affordable lenscap
discussion, which beat out the how-do-I-load-film-into-this-thing
discussion--until it devolved yet further into the
how-long-should-my-camera-strap-be discussion. And now we're all
supposed to make like Carnac on Camera Repair? Yeesh.

Good luck getting your problem fixed, Julio. I'm sorry you're
experiencing it and I don't mean to be unfriendly. I just don't think
this is a topic on which we can be of much actual help.

- --Mike