Subject: RE: [Leica] tele-elmarit 90
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:21:51 -0500

I may be the only subscriber to this list who has good things to say about
the Skinny Tele-Elmarit, but I love it.  I am especially fond of the lens'
reversible, clip-on, metal shade.  My favorite lenses and standard
walking-around-kit are an M6, the last pre-aspheric 35 Summicron, and the
Skinny Tele-Elmarit.  A smaller, lighter, yet more versatile set of gear
would be difficult to assemble.  One does concede a bit of sharpness and
contrast to the current Nineties, but for me it is a fair trade for a more
discrete and portable outfit (not that any Leica gear is relatively
GIGANTIC, just that some is relatively small), and the Skinny Tele-Elmarit
is plenty sharp for my tastes and style of on-the-run photography.  I have
had mine and used it constantly for...what?...thirteen years with no signs
of fungus or other degenerative condition.  I don't know what they cost, but
if you take a deep breath and buy just one issue of "Shutterbug" that
shouldn't be hard to determine.  Before you cast your lot with my
assessment, though, see Erwin's site for a general evaluation of the various
nineties.