Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 ASPH lense shade...is this thing a joke?
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 02:53:48 +0800

on 16/3/00 1:10 am, Austin Franklin at austin@darkroom.com wrote:

> I received a 35/1.4 ASPH today...and couldn't believe what they gave me for
> a lens shade.  It's a flimsy little plastic clip on shade, and the clips
> look like they're going to last about an hour....  This thing is a joke for
> the kind of money these things cost...
>
> Another 'odd' 'feature' is the lense doesn't fit in its case with the shade
> on.  The 24 does, so what would be the big deal making the cutout in the
> foam for the 35 shade?
>
> The aperture ring twirls around as easily a high school cheer leader....
> The other lenses I have have positive detenting...the wind blows and this
> one will pick another f-stop...
>
> Overall, this lense just isn't near as nicely 'fit and finished' as the
> other two I have, and I am quite disappointed...  I hope it takes great
> pictures though...

Austin,

Early runs of the current 35/1.4 ASPH. (11874) was supplied with a smaller
lens case so the clip-on shade would not fit into the leather case.  The
shade sits atop of the leather case as you open the box.  Later lenses were
supplied with a larger lens case and would house the entire lens & shade
combo, as well as lens and shade caps.

Joseph