Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 135mm
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 23:10:35 -0800

I use a 135 with my M3s regularly. It's a very pleasant focal length, which
reaches out for birds, seals, marmots and other things that don't appreciate
my running up to them. (Actually, the marmots don't seem to care how close
you get, but they can make it kind of hard to get there...).

The 135 is also very good for head shots and candids.

Of course the tele view using an SLR is much better (you can see the
expression on the marmot's face through the SLR before you press the
shutter). With the rangefinder you wait until the film is developed to see
whether the shot came out O.K. It usually does. (Marmots and birds have a
limited set of expressions).

Try the frame preview to see what I mean. I think it's a sly marketing trick
by E. Leitz. Once you try it, you realize that you want that extra focal
length.

Mike Quinn (who fantasizes about a 400 mm lens, but then probably wouldn't
carry it around if he had it)