Subject: Re: [Leica] M camers & 135mm
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:54:27 -0800

Mike Quinn wrote:
>> Mike Quinn (who fantasizes about a 400 mm lens, but then probably wouldn't
>> carry it around if he had it)

Mark Rabiner replied:
>> All along we hear about how top people consider their 50 to be their long
>> lens on their M.
>> But I think things have changed.

Actually they are returning to normal :)

>> On the 400 why not put a 500 mirror lens on an existing SLR?

Well, the "Bokeh" of the mirror lenses can be troubling.
(And with a 500 mm lens, just about everything is "Bokeh"...)

Sal DiMarco,Jr. Answered:

> Carrying a 135mm is a lot lighter  than a reflex and a
> 180mm. Especially when the 180mm isn't essential to the job.

Exactly.

> What I really would like is a 180mm w/ eyes. A few years ago, I had the
> chance to play with Rolf Fricke's 180 APO-M prototype, and it was FANTASTIC!
> It was about 1/2 the weight of my 135 f/2.8 or so it seemed. And oh, so
> smooth and sharp.

Gasp! I want One!! (Unexpectedly, just when I least expect it, the dreaded
Leica lens lust virus strikes!)
What was the 180's aperture?

Marc James Small wrote:
> Occasionally, I'll go wild and do a 4/17cm combination
>  -- my 2/8.5cm CZJ Sonnar with a 2X Ukrainian tele-converter, RF-coupled.

ARRGH! I want one of those too!
Let's see, I could replace my 90/2.8 with a 90/2 and get a 180/4!
My 135/4 would become a 270/8!

(Ah, would it work with my Leica lenses?)

Mike Quinn