Subject: [Leica] M camers & 135mm
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:24:51 -0500

Luggers,
    For what it's worth. I often use 135mm  lenses with my M-cameras. Only
with high mag viewfinders, either and M3 type or a high Mag M6. I have a
135mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M (which is far better than it's given credit for) in my
M-color kit and an old 135mm Hektor in the B&W kit.
   With the .72 viewfinder the focusing accuracy isn't there and you have to
stop down a lot. Carrying a 135mm is a lot lighter  than a reflex and a
180mm. Especially when the 180mm isn't essential to the job.
    What I really would like is a 180mm w/ eyes. A few years ago, I had the
chance to play with Rolf Fricke's 180 APO-M prototype, and it was FANTASTIC!
It was about 1/2 the weight of my 135 f/2.8 or so it seemed. And oh, so
smooth and sharp.
    I have had extensive talks with the Sultans of Solms about making the
lens. It is a lot more difficult than I had orginally imagined, in areas I
didn't think mattered. It is a good idea whose time hasn't come yet.

Happy Snapping,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.