Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: "Peter Jon White" <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 09:50:54 -0500

> This is the classical but fallacious response when one tries to
> document the optical quality of Leica lenses and their capacity for
> high image quality.

Indeed. Comparisons between formats are silly, and I've made the same silly
comparison in the past. There are things you can do with larger formats; the
tilts and shifts available in a 4x5, the larger print sizes, etc. that are
impossible with a Leica. But these are at the cost of portability and
hand-holdability. I can get astonishing "apparent" depth of field with my
4x5 and 210mm lens shooting a landscape. But it takes a minimum of 10
minutes to set up the shot, (usually more like 20). Try hand-holding a
Wisner Classic!

Peter Jon White
Peter White Cycles
666 Mass Ave