Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:13:40 -0500

> The Hassy is more expensive

M6 body - $1400
75/1.4 lense - $1600

Total Leica price - $3000 (actually what I paid for these items)

2003FC/W body - $750
110/2 lense - $1200
A24 back - $450

Total Hasselblad price - $2400 (actually what I paid for these items)

In this case, a comparable Hasselblad is cheaper.

> much heavier

M6 body - 560 grams
75/1.4 lense - 560 grams

Total Leica weight - 44 oz (from Leica brochure)

2003FC/W body - 20 oz
110/2 lense - 24 oz
A24 back - 14 oz

Total Hasselblad weight - 58 oz (actually weighed)

That makes the Hasselblad 14 oz, or weigh approximately %30 more.  Whether
that is 'much' or not is purely subjective.

> and vastly user unfriendly for handheld shooting in a dynamic
> environment

I personally find the Hasselblad very easy to use, when held correctly.  It
is much better balanced, since it is held closer to the center of moment.
 I do find the smaller size, and quieter operation of the Leica a large
asset though, but personally, I find the Leica more difficult to use.

> Tests show that the emulsion/filmplane  in a Hasselblad
> is far from flat and even

What tests would you be referencing?  I have never seen this 'problem'.
 Perhaps, I am just not astute enough, and you could help me identify it.
 I have 20,000+ negatives, and I am sure if it were such a problem, I would
easily be able to identify it on some of them with some help.  I am really
surprised that in 20 years of shooting with Hasselblads, I have never
before had anyone mention this as being a problem.  If that were such a
problem for MF, than it must be a really huge problem for LF.

> The 2/90
> apo gives me at 2 better image quality than the 4/150 at 4 and when
> stopping down the apo to 4 it surpasses the Hasselbald 4/150.

Would you please provide references to these tests that bare out your
conclusion.  You certainly have shown you know what you are talking about,
but I respectfully question your conclusion here.