Subject: Re: [Leica] Big blowup format comparisons
From: "John Shick" <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:19:53 +0000

- ----------
>From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Subject: [Leica] Big blowup format comparisons
>Date: Sat, Mar 18, 2000, 3:30 PM
>

> But for any 35mm camera to surpass what I get from my Hasselblad in a large
> print I'm gonna expect thunder and lighting and earthquakes and a name change.
> All that curvy film stuff does not add up to a hill of beans!
> Mark Smageler
The biggest difference between 35mm and medium format seems to me to be
related to the vastly greater amount discrete silver halide grains.  This
means that the amount of information recorded on the 6x4.5 negative is about
three times greater. The sharpness of the 35mm negative may rival a medium
formatm, but the larger negative should exhibit noticeably smoother tonal
transitions and be able to distinguish more shades of gray given the same
final print dimensions.
John Shick