Subject: [Leica] R8 and 180mm f/3.4 Apo
From: "Julian Koplen" <jkoplen@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 10:08:06 -0500

While trying to get some pictures of what I believe to be migratory Canadian
geese in my South Carolina backyard this dull/overcast morning, I noted what
seemed to be an irregularity in the R8 meter readouts for my non-ROM
old-style f/3.4 180mm Apo.

When set to the 'T' or 'P' modes and very high shutter speeds, the meter
will indicate f-stop opening to 2.8 on this maximum 3.4 lens.  The lens was
properly set to its minimum f/22 stop for these modes.  Does this indicate
any sort of miscommunication between the lens and the camera?  Would the
meter properly sense the light at the time of exposure and expose correctly?
I could not get my 50mm Summicron to 'misbehave' under similar provocation,
and I would be unable to answer my own question by inspection of the color
negatives.

Does anyone know if this is normal behavior, or can someone with this same
camera a lens maybe try the same setup and see if they get the same results?

As an aside, the R8 was a delight as usual.  I see occasional LUG references
about the R8's suitability for people with big hands, but mine are small and
stubby, and the camera still feels like everything was put where it is just
for me.  I would advise small-handed people not to reject the camera on the
basis of size theory. Pick it up and use it.

Regards and thanks............Julian