Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Bag Recommendation
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 14:20:07 -0500

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> This Domke F803 and Billinghom Alice shoot-out/discussion is useful.
>
> Could I invite users of these bags to describe what they can carry, for M
> and R systems.  And how they feel about the protection offered and
> convenience of use.  I'd want to carry two M bodies, four lenses, an SF20
> flash and a few rolls of film.

SNIP

Rick,

I carry in my F803 outfitted with the triple compartment divider the
following: (1) M3 with 50mm Summilux and reversed hood; (1) M2 with
Rapidwinder, MR2 meter and 50mm  DR Summicron; 75mm Summilux back to
back with 21mm Elmarit. Across the top of the middle compartment, if I'm
not wearing it I have an M6 with 35mm Summicron lying across the middle
compartment with the lens down. In one front pocket I keep a tabletop
tripod and Sekonic 308BII meter and in the other a Vivitar 2800 flash,
eyes for the DR Summicron and viewfinder for the 21mm. In the front flap
pockets I keep a Euro to PC flash adapter, a couple synch cords, a cable
release, a 39mm UV filter, a couple rear lens caps and a couple body
caps. I have an add-on pouch on the strap for film and in the rear
pocket I keep maps and a pocket CD-jewel case chess set.

That being said, I plan to go to Ireland in May using a Lightware 912MF
case to carry the M2 and M3 and all lenses. I'll wear the M6 as per Ted
Grant's advice that if the plane goes down I'll have some great photos.
The reason for the Lighware case is that I plan to bring a Hasselblad
SWC and a couple backs as well as the ground glass and reflex viewer.
I'll carry this case on as hand luggage and flatten the F803 with its
non-camera incidentals in my checked baggage. I'll transfer everything
but the Hasselblad to the F803 upon arrival and work out of it as I
alwasy do. I also have a Lightware Z-Pouch to attach to the MF912 so
that it will be considered one piece of carry-on. I also wear a
beltpouch as they don't consider these carry luggage.

Film, as always, will be carried on me in clear rubbermaid containers
all labeled with TMax or Delta 3200 labels saying do not x-ray as almost
all airport security people automatically say that it's safe to put film
up to ISO 400 through the scanner. Once they see the 3200 it usually
changes their default response and they oblige a hand-inspection. And
you thought that thread was over.

Finally, I should add that I consider this as travelling light compared
to either my Domke F7 with Canon EOS system and three zooms or my
regular Hasselblad system which weighs around 40 pounds in its Lighware
case. That's what I love about going on vacation.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/
New email address: csocolow@mindspring.com