Subject: RE: [Leica] ?: Table tripod / ball head recommendations
From: John Bean <john.bean@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 00:16:11 +0000

I couldn't agree more, Paul. The other advantage of the large head is it
serves as a good hand grip when using the pod against a wall or post,
something I often do. Many people prefer the small head for
"pocketability", but I think the large head is terrific - very rigid, and
not all that much heavier. There is no better table pod/head combination IMO.

At Monday 20/03/2000 22:19, Paul Chefurka wrote:
>I'm a big, big fan of this tripod.  I have one of the leg-sets with the
>large Leica ball head.  IMO there is nothing better out there.
>
>The large ball head has a reversible thread socket in the base that allows
>it to fit on tripods with either 1/4 or 3/8 threads.  There is no "friction"
>setting on the ball clamp, the way there is on an Arca-Swiss - the ball is
>either locked or fully released.  I prefer this, but people with larger
>cameras might not.
>
>I used to use the ball head years ago on a Linhof leg-set, to support a
>Hasselblad with a 150/4 Sonnar.  It worked just fine, because the lock is so
>strong.  I now use it a lot as a chest-pod, especially with a 90mm.
>
>You can't go wrong with this one.

Regards

John Bean