Subject: Re: [Leica] ?: Table tripod / ball head recommendations
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:28:48 EST

In a message dated 3/20/00 5:49:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, moore@rscs.net
writes:

<< I'd like to find a table tripod to use with an M.
 I like the size and style of the Model 14100 (3 folding legs)
 that's listed in the current Leica catalog.  Does anyone have
 comments on this and also the ball & socket head? >>

I collect them.  They are nicely made.  The Canon table-top tripod (also
formerly made with the "Nikon" name on it) is also nice because the legs
swing out to set stops, whereas the Leica tripod you have to set the legs the
distance apart you want them and then tighten the nut.  But the Canon
tablepod's ballhead is worthless.  Fortunately, it's removable and you can
use a Leica ballhead on it.  The current Leica ballhead is *expensive*, and I
think it's too tall for putting the whole thing in a pocket.  But all the
Leica ballheads are exquisitely machined, almost as magnificent to hold and
work as the Leica itself.  Find a used short one (I won't bore you with code
names and catalog numbers), and either a Leica or the Canon legs (or a
Minolta TR-1, which is almost a clone of the Leica, with a permanent ballhead
of nice construction.)

 <<Are there any "gotchas" to look out for when buying them used?>>
Not really.  The latest tripods have rubber feet, and they can be bought from
Leica for any of the M-era tripods.  The oldest (black, crinkle-finish) have
feet that are too small for the rubber tips, but you can get little tips at
the hardware store that fit.  Otherwise they tend to slip and also scar up
whatever they're rested on.

 <<I've seen several sizes of ball/socket heads -- any major
 differences among them other than the obvious size?

Yes, some have reversible (or spring-loaded) threads top and/or bottom for
1/4 and 3/8 size.  Helpful for using the same ballhead on a full-size tripod
and/or a camera with the 3/8 hole.  My favorite is the "short" 14121, which
has reversible bushings on both ends and stands about 2/3 the height of the
later 14121 which is indentical to the current ballhead 14110.

Doc