Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: LUGThe M6 Fugue
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:28:10 -0500

I believe LCD displays only have a life of 10 years.  Of course, they may
last a lot longer....  There are a LOT of electronics designed with LCD
displays these days...and I surely would hate to have my $3k camera be
rendered useless in 20 years because of unavailability of a stupid $2 LCD.
 I am not saying they HAVE to use LCDs, but most electronics do, I am sure
for three reasons.  One, they are cheap, two they provide good
functionality, and three, they die in 10 years ;-)

Also, electronics add more complexity, and decrease the reliability (MTTF -
mean time to failure).  In some instances, electronics increase the
reliability, but in this instance, I do not believe they do.