Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter sizes - repost requested
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:22:37 -0500

At 10:50 AM 3/23/2000 -0000, Doug Richardson wrote:
>Recently, some knowledgeable chap posted a list giving the
>screw-thread dimensions of the various Leica "Series" filter sizes,
>but I've managed to lose it. Could someone please repost it or send my
>a copy off-list?

I am not certain what you are seeking here.

Leitz used, and Leica still uses, absolutely standard filter sizes -- not
always in the sizes other manufacturers used, but always consistent with
normal filter sizing, save for the tapered 36.4mm filters used on the
Summitar and the bayonet filter-mount used on the Xenon and Summarit.

The "E" filters are screw-in sizes.  "E39" is a 39mm by 0.50mm (?), for
instance, consistent with B+W, Heliopan, Harrison & Harrison, or Tiffen
sizing.  The "A" filters are slip-on sizes:  "A42" is a 42mm slip-on size,
again consistent with B+W, Heliopan, Harrison & Harrison, or Tiffen
sizings.  The Series filters are consistent with the system set up by Kodak
and once quite common -- Series 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, &c.  I believe the Series
5.5 filters were actually Kodak Series 5, but I no longer own a lens to
check this on.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!