Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Wide Angle Body
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:09:16 -0800

At 3:57 PM -0800 3/23/00, Tom Schofield wrote:
>Well, if extrapolation holds, if a WA finder had 21mm lines where the 28mm
>are now, then the 35mm lines would be between the 75 and 90 lines, and the
>50mm lines would be about between the 90 and 135 lines.  So, you could put
>your 21 on the WA body, your 35 on the standard body, and the 50/75/90 on
>the HM body.  Bliss!!!  (But, and here is where  it probably falls apart,
>how much viewfinder intrusion would there be from the lens?

Actually, if you check the geometry, you will find that if the 21 lines are
where the 28 lines are right now, the 50 lines will be even short of the
75mm lines, ie, the lines will fall between where the 50 and 75 are right
now. You would need about a .55 viewfinder to make this work. The 75 Cosina
lens or 90/2.8's might still be useable, as this magnification is not far
off what the Hexar provides.

The viewfinder intrusion is something I could live with. Unfortunately,
21mm lenses key the 28/90 finders, whereas it would be preferable to have
them key  the 35/135 frames, and have the 24 key the 50/75 frames. ..but a
bit of machining on the mount could fix that!

I wouldn't be surprised if the wider view would promote more flare. Maybe
the finder would need to be multi-coated, and have baffles added.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com