Subject: Re: [Leica] Helicopter Aerials - stabilizer question
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:34:32 -0800

At 7:50 PM -0800 3/22/00, Gary Todoroff wrote:
>I sure wish I could use some kind of stabilizer, but haven't shelled out the
>$3000 for a KenLab gyro yet. There is no place local to rent them, and the
>schedule is too sporadic to send away for a rental that might not even be
>used. Has anyone heard of a cheaper way to go for gyro stabilization?
>
>So mostly, I just try to shoot a 1/500th or faster, using Leica and Zeiss
>lenses, which do well wide open if necessary (altho the Hasselblad Planar
>80mm isn't all that great at f2.8 in my experience). I also take lots of
>film, knowing that often only one out of three frames is critically sharp.
>Even with all my attempts at avoiding vibration, the hit ratio is not at all
>like on the ground. So take lots of frames (Ted, I am already hearing that
>motor drive R8 starting to call my name!)
>
>This morning the helicopter plans did work out and we flew to the St George
>Reef Lighthouse, about 30 minutes north and six miles off the coast of
>Crescent City. Weather was perfect, with just enought high overcast to keep
>the contrast range down a bit. I shot the Hasselblad ELM out the open door
>of the HH65 Coast Guard helicopter. We were really close during three orbits
>around the rock, so I was able to shoot with the 80mm, trying to capture
>some of the beautful turquois blue water as the waves receded.
>
>>From a further distance, I used the old but dependable Leica SL with a 90mm
>Elmarit and a 280/4.8 Telyt. Two grey whales swam by when were at about 100'
>elevation, and I got a few shots of them, too.
>
>We landed on the tiny landing pad and I used the M6 for some shots around
>the abandonded light, mostly with the 35. We toured the many rooms where
>lightkeepers and Coasties lived and worked since 1892, and I sensed what a
>rare priviledge it was to be one of the few who has ever been on that remote
>outpost over the last 100 years.
>
>>From the top, I  shot an unusual perspective from above the helicopter, its
>blades still spinning, a flight mechanic nearby, and waves crashing on rocks
>just twenty feet below the scene. I love Velvia for landscapes, but can't
>stand the way it interprets the orange color of the helicopter. So far, I
>use Astia for the orange color, but haven't experimented much. Anybody have
>a favorite slide film for interpreting international orange?
>
>After the group commander flew us home (it was his first trip to the
>lighthouse, too), we both husseled to a lunch meeting back in Eureka, where
>plans are rapidly developing for the festivities around declaring Eureka as
>a Coast Guard City on June 3rd. Should be a great party for a great group of
>people!
>
>Regards,
>Gary Todoroff
>Tree LUGger

The Kenyon is the only one I know of. I believe there are one or two other
ones that unfortunately are even more expensive. I've used the KS-4 a
couple of times (handles 4 lbs. nominally). Rental is $150US a week, or so
for a kit (stabilizer, battery & case) direct from Kenyon. It can be
applied toward purchase. This is definitely the best way to go. The only
other help is from the Canon, and now Nikon lenses with stabilization built
in. Not quite as good as the Kenyon, but it helps. I used the Kenyon mainly
on MF, but also with medium teles on 35.

I played around a bit with using the KS-4 and Leica M. 1 sec shots
freestanding with the 90/2 Summicron were quite doable, with only a slight
reduction in resolution. About the same quality that I could get on the
best of days with 1/30sec.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com