Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: "William" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:58:27 -0800

Hans Pahlen writes:

|Anders, are you saying that the Leica community site is a bad idea? I could
kill it, if it makes you feel better.
|/Hans

|> >It is my understanding Bill Gates is the owner of THE largest stock
|> photography
|> >collection in the known world.
|>
|> Yes, but that is not a reason to give him more for free.

I think that the site is a great idea and well implemented.  It gives us a
central place to place photographs for critique by Leica users plus anyone
else than wanders onto the site.

My understanding is that the stock photography rights owned by either Gates or
Microsoft was purchased for money consideration and not stolen or misused from
web postings.

I really don't know why Mr. Gates would want photography to which he does not
own copyright nor to which he has access to any subject releases.  I interpret
the usage phrase as meaning that MSN can copy it to a feature page (which I
would love) to show what a great photo site they have without any commercial
endorsement involved.

Perhaps some of our Leica attorneys and/or lawyers would care to question my
interpretation.  In the meantime, I think that the site provides a very
valuable visual appendix to the LUG.  I intend to take my Midway portfolio
down  when I get bored with receiving no comments.  (As a result of the
portfolio, I have captured some of the Yemenite photography market in my
area).