Subject: [Leica] vignetting vs 'blank' skies
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:14:00 -0800

henry & jb,

a couple of quick responses:

>My hood will fit over the B+W filters but I have to wiggle it around
>quite a bit and kind of force it over to its proper mounting place.
>Did your hood cause the vignetting because it was too far forward?

i suspect it was this, but i need to look into it.

>It may just be the filter/sky interaction - or - did it vignette in the
>lower corners also? If its just in the upper corners its the former.

i'm going to check on this (i don't have the proofs handy just now) and
will report back.

>Henry

Was the scene you were shooting outdoors and was the effect seen mostly in
the sky?

jb

these were indeed outdoor shots (i never use a filter indoors), but i don't
recall offhand if the effect was limited to the sky. as i said above, i'll
check the proofs again and report back.

if what you guys are suggesting is correct (i.e., that its basically the
filter/sky interaction), then what should one do to avoid 'blank' skies
when shooting outdoors with black and white film and a wide angle lens?

guy