Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: "Anders Nygren" <anygren@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:27:51 -0600

De: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>

>Another point to consider.  Microsoft isn't the only company running
>on-line services allowing people to upload and display images.  Yahoo,
>Excite are two others that I have used myself.  They all have similar TOSs
>as MSN.

I havenīt checked myself but I remember reading somewhere that Yahoo
changed their policy after getting a lot of bad press.

>Can anyone point out a single example of a photographer fighting
>with any of these companies over their usage of his/her image?   Do you
>really think that Microsoft (Bill Gates) has nothing better to do than risk
>a whole lot of ill will by stealing someone's image that was innocently
>posted on one of the user groups such as the one set up by Hans,

Well, given the behaviour that came up in the DoJ vs. Microsoft hearings
I think that
1, They really cant get any more ill will than they already have.
2, No evil deed from Microsoft will surprise me anymore.

>regardless
>of how wonderful that image may be or how the TOS is worded?   If Gates
>needs an image, I am sure he will simple buy it.  As he has already done
>many times.

I dont think they would use the picture just as You are saying but then
_why_ do they, in this case Microsoft, feel the need to claim the right to
do it.

I am a bit suprised by the faith people put on companies. Or is this a case
of
US citizens being so tired of the lawyers grip on society that they dont
care
what is written in a legal agrement, and thus just shrug thier shoulders and
say "No, they wouldnīt do that" and hope for the best.