Subject: Re: [Leica] Apology, lawyer joke
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 11:15:17 -0800

Lawyers do not deserve the low trust and esteem they seem to garner from the
public. The overwhelming majority are honorable and honest.
The case of  Mordecai Levi is a good example.

Mordecai Levi wanted to "take it with him".  He wanted to carry all his cash
into the next world. For a long time he struggled with the dilemma of how to
realize his dream. Unfortunately he knew of no single individual he could
trust to carry out his wish.

Finally he thought of an idea that could be foolproof.  He instructed his
attorney that the money was to be divided into three sums and that he,
Mordecai's doctor, and his rabbi were to bring the money and toss it into
the grave when the time came.
Each of the three men were to check on each other, thus there would be less
of a chance that one would be tempted to cheat.

Eventually the time came and, as promised all three men attended the burial
ceremony.
Each was carrying a voluminous package.  Each of the three knew that the
other's package contained Mr. Levi's cash.  One by one they tossed their
parcel into the grave and walked away together without speaking.  Finally,
outside the cemetery, the rabbi was the first to break the silence:  "In
spite of the fact that Mordecai was my friend and I respected him, I could
not in good conscience allow all that cash to go for naught.  So I removed
some in order to help alleviate the poverty in our neighborhood".  "Wrong as
it may be", said the distraught rabbi, "I don't think that Mordecai will
miss it".

Upon hearing this, the doctor gave a sigh of relief. "My conscience has
bothered me for a long time" said the good doctor. "But I too could not see
the point of throwing money into the ground, so I held 50% of the cash in
order to build a children's wing at the hospital where I work".

The lawyer was incensed. "Shame on you, shame on you all" he exclaimed as
the trio was walking out of the cemetery. "You know very well that the will
and testament of the deceased is sacred and should not be violated". With
that he added: "Take me for instance, I wrote him a check for the entire
amount".
(Author unknown)

P.S.
I would like to assure all that the above was contributed in  good natured
teasing among LUG comrades (lawyers included) and is not intended as an
affront to the legal profession.
Joseph