Subject: Re: [Leica] FS: 35mm Summicron ASPH and IIIf with Summitar
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:30:28 +0200

Steve,

That lens has been my most-used Leica M lens since I bought it, and I suspect
that this is the case for many other owners. It is simply THE Leica lens par
excellence. From the point of view of optical excellence perhaps the 90mm Apo
Summicron or the 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit R have a *slight* edge (read Erwin
Puts' pages), but from the point of view of daily usability the 35mm cannot be
beat.

However, for me the 1.4/35mm Asph will be even more usable, simply because I
often find myself trying to open the aperture even wider when I am already at f2
with the Summicron. I am willing to put up with the larger size, greater weight
and higher price to gain that extra stop--many people are not. When I refer to
the change as an upgrade, I am only thinking of that; I do not expect higher
optical quality at f2 or lower (although I do expect that it will be lower
either).

BTW, this is not a sales pitch, the Summicron I put up for sale on Friday is
already spoken for.

Nathan

Steve Hickel wrote:

> What is the court's opinion of the 35 asph 2.0? Is this a lens deserving of
> daily use and why?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> steve

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch