Subject: Re: [Leica] Frank
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:16:30 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:
> Greg Locke wrote:
> > >Robert Frank is very simply the greatest living photographer and one of the
> > >very few true artists working in photography.

> I heard he was widely criticized for being a Hot Dog!

Hi Mark and Greg and everyone,

     Robert Frank switched from still photography after "The Americans" to
film making.  I recall seeing "Pull My Daisy"('59?) at the cinema in the
'60s; this film set some kind of a record as being the first 'loft' film and
'stared' beat generation poet Allen Ginsberg and others.  The dialog was
replaced with Jack Kerouac reading and trying to lip sync the original
with his own, quite an idea and very effective.  It's available
on video.  Frank also made the film "Cocksucker Blues" about the Rolling
Stones, but the Stones' hold the rights with the exception of Frank
screening it when he's there.  He's got other films as well.  Since
it's Acedemy Award Night, it's appropriate to comment that he'll never
get an Oscar from Hollywood.

				Cheers,

						Rich Lahrson
						tripspud@wenet.net