Subject: Re: [Leica] Frank
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2038 10:50:30 +0000

Greg Locke wrote:

> At 04:55 PM 26/03/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Robert Frank is very simply the greatest living photographer and one of the
> >very few true artists working in photography.
>
> God bless you!!  I thought I was the only one who held Robert Frank in such
> high esteem.
> The Americans was the single greatest influence on me since I picked up a
> camera as a teenager.

Greg,
Me too.  Perhaps it is that the emptiness, the irony, the sometimes
intensity matched what I saw and was feeling about my home country.
Leonard Freed, especially his Black in White America was another huge
influence on me (I still have the book, very dog eared) along with
Smith, of c ourse.  The moderating influence, though, was Werner
Bischof, who lived with a little less darkness in his soul.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego