Subject: [Leica] Re: Ever Ready cases
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:07:29 +0100

mike pailliotet <pailliotet@earthlink.net> asked:

>I was wondering how many (if any) of you fine folks have and use a
"Ever
Ready" case or half case, specifically the ones offered by the
Kameraleader company ?

Well, I'll immediately confess to being one of Ted Grant's "fella's
that takes the camera out on Sundays for a few happy snaps while
wearin' white cotten gloves." (Except that last Sunday was the annual
general meeting of the Leica Historical Society here in the UK, and in
the six hours I never did find the time to take pics.)

Ever since I pensioned off my box camera some 40 years ago, I've
always used ERCs. I'm never in that much of a hurry to get the pic,
since my work-type pics are either industrial or taken at pre-planned
media events, and my fun pics are either of landscapes or ladies,
subjects were I'm more than happy to take my time and enjoy the view.

Most of the time, I've used the official ERC, but I've seen too many
Leicas with badly scarred  eyelets to want to use the current M6 ERC.
Instead, I ordered a Kameraleder full ERC, which as you have observed
are "very well  made, much nicer then any thing else out there that I
have seen . Not to mention the very nice strap which is included."

The leather is a matt black, so tends to acquire scuff marks easily,
but the workmanship is first-class. I particularly like the way the
strap and its neckpad are shaped for comfort.

You've obviously through through the disadavantages of the ERC when
you say that "having a case on would slow up the film loading process
and also when the camera is out and being loaded it is basically
strapless ......  a disaster waiting to
happen in a high pressure film exchange!!!"  I always make lens
changing and film changing slow and deliberate operations, preferably
done sitting down, so have no problem here. But my subjects are not
the sort which will go away while I'm messing around.

Regards,

Doug Richardson