Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica:Elmart-R 2.8/19mm
From: Alex van Hulsenbeek <sanderva@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:28:56 -0800 (PST)

Arne Helme wrote:
>I have for time wanted to purchase a wide angle lens
for my R8, and
the current Elmarit-R 2.8/19mm seems to a good choice
for the kind of
photography I do.

In prior postings on this list several of you have
praised the current
19mm for its high level of performance.  I am just
curious; when was
the lens recomputed, and can I with it expect the same
level of
performance with it as with the current Elmarit-M
>2.8/21mm ASPH.?

Arne,

I was one of the first users in Holland of the current
1991 version of this lens. Using the lens and
following testresults and commentary over those years
convince me that is may be the best lens in this area
of focal lenght ever made. It is virtually flare-,
distortion-, and vigneting free. The filter-turret is
a joy to use. It is not possible to attach filters on
the front, as there is no thread.

I have never seen it being compared to the 2.8/21mm-M
ASPH, but i suppose they are in the same league.

It is, however, of retrofocus design and therefor big
and rather heavy. With the sunshade it is an even
bigger bundle.

As with all of these very short focal lengths one has
the tendency to underexpose.

Also, I must confess that I made little use of it next
to my 24mmR. I found it a difficult lens to make good
pictures with. Strange, as on my R, I used the 24mm
almost as normal lens! May be the vast amount of
visual information it creates gets lost in the the
reflex-viewer.

On balance, it was a heavy investment in view of the
limited use I made of it. Never regretted buying it
though!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam
Holland