Subject: RE: [Leica] Canoe trips...
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 12:45:53 -0800 (PST)

B. D. Colen writes:
 > What I want to know is whether the little boy is looking away in disgust
 > because Duane the alleged LUger has a Canon hanging from his neck instead of
 > a Leica. Those kids down there are no fools, you know! :-)

Nah.  The kid was distracted by something that was going on, either

 a) his little sister w/ a bloody nose being carried over by another
    sister,

or

 b) the arrival of some other gringos who might be more likely to fork
    over the outrageous modeling fees that the kid was asking.

I'm not sure which of those was going on at the moment that I snapped
that shot.

If he was offended by the Canon, then he would have been mortified by
the Nikon N90s that I was carrying that day.  Only the third set of
images (a mix of B&W and color neg stuff) was shot w/ my M6, the rest
was w/ the Nikon.

Duane was a great resource down there.  In the end we didn't really
shoot anything (except my shots of the negotiating) and wandered off
when they went looking for greener pastures/richer gringos.

We've been around and around the whole "taking pictures of people who
may or may not want their photo taken" issue on the LUG many times.
It was a real issue for me down there (at least partially because I'm
a typical mono-lingual American), I passed on some neat photos because
the folks didn't seem to be willing.

g.