Subject: [Leica] M3 Tradition
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:15:20 EST

In a message dated 3/31/00 12:04:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< I see the  politically correct "craftsmen and craftswomen" but its
unhistoric as, sorry, you can be pretty sure there were no craftswoman at
Leitz when they were making the M3. Indeed, I would suprised if there were
any now. >>
I believe Walter Benser, in his highly selective autobiography re his own
role in Nazi Germany, commented that the M3 was designed and built by Leitz
in the high precision tradition of former Leicas. He mentions names and even
discusses manufacturing techniques in passing. The young Benser worked in the
Leitz shops and knew the management people personally. According to him, the
M3 was made to very close tolerances, as indeed were its lenses. That usually
calls for hand finishing.