Subject: [Leica] Bessa R
From: Stephen Gandy <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 14:18:37 -0700

Over the weekend I got my first Bessa R.

I'm  very impressed by it.  To my eyes, the R's finder, brightlines, and
rangefinder patch are as bright as a M6.   I find that remarkable.   The finder
is definitely better than the Hexar RF's, in the those respects.   Like the M's,
you can focus the image by converging images within the interior RF patch, or by
matching up the edges of the RF patch.

Compared to the earlier L,  the Bessa R's shutter is quieter (though still
louder than the M6), and the back door has been beefed up -- though it is still
plastic.   The framelines are manually selectable, 35 and 90, 50, and 75.  This
would seem to indicate a future 90 lens in the Voigtlander lineup.

The 3 LED finder readout is just as easy, if not easier to read, than the M6.

Voigtlander has a real winner here, a very nice nice camera.

 By the end of the week I hope to have more pics of the R at my site, as well as
a picture of the new 12/5.6.

I have more info at  http://cameraquest.com/voigrf.htm

Stephen Gandy