Subject: [Leica] Hockey Photography, the Leica way!
From: "David E. Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:30:52 -0400

Ernie:

I've been shooting Division I college hockey for about 20 years (how time
flys!).

Just this year I started phasing in my R8/Motor/280f2.8/180f2/80f1.4 . As a
general rule, the ice is
a 90% white card, or 2.5 stops more reflective than a middle gray. However,
the condition of the
ice changes with the action. NHL rinks are lit for TV so the light will be
quite good. If you shoot through
the glass, find a CLEAN piece to work with. Keep close to the glass to
minimize reflections from around
you. This aspect can be more difficult than you might expect. The working
press usually share holes cut into
the glass at various locations where short to medium lenses can work
reasonably well. You may also shoot
from the crowd with longer lenses (>=200mm), though you may inconvenience
those sitting around you. If
the team is doing bad, attendence may be light and open seats plentiful.

The lower contrast inherent with Leica lenses makes hockey easier to print
and scan. There is a huge difference
between my Leicas and my Canon L series lenses with regard to contrast.

The current trend in film is the Fuji 800 which can be pushed to 1600 or
even 3200. I use the 1600 push with
good results.

In short: Fuji 800 pushed to 1600ISO, meter 2 stops off the ice (NO AUTO
EXPOSURE) for starters.

I left out many details, so let me know if I can add anything. Hockey is a
tough game to shoot well, but a lot of fun
and very gratifying when things go well.

Regards,
Dave Strang
dstrang@up.net