Subject: [Leica] Hockey Photography, the Leica way!
From: "David E. Strang" <dstrang@up.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 01:59:48 -0400

Rick Dykstra asked:

>I was wondering what focussing techniques you use with the 280 setup,
>given the speed of the action.  Do you try and follow focus, or focus
>ahead and wait, or ...?

I don't try and shoot everything. I usually try to see if one team will have
territorial advantage and shoot in their zone for offense shots. Goals are
not usually that exciting, just look at the AP stuff.

When I decide what I'll shoot, I employ an "active zone" focus where I'll
follow
focus in a given area. My follow focus is more of a "focus ahead" as I try
always shoot with faces forward. So, as I see a shot/play develop, I try to
keep
my focus ahead of the player and then focus towards the player and shoot
just as
the letters on the helmet/facial detail look sharp. Also, I try to use as
much of the
frame as possible, but a 300 isn't always long enough.

The college ice arena put the extra tall plexiglass in a few years ago so
shooting with a long lens
meant shooting from the concourse level, over the top of the glass. I often
shoot from the center
ice point so  I can shoot either end. This is especially important when on
deadline where I may have
only the first period to shoot (and head up to the press box for pizza:,)

The R8 with matte screen and Motor drive works quite well for hockey.  The
80 Summilux
works nicely behind the net as does the 180 f2, but for shots out to the
blueline
(from same location).

Regards,
Dave Strang